B+ Voltage drop in a Magnavox 185

isoprene

B+ Voltage drop in a Magnavox 185

Post by isoprene »

Hello,
I have a Magnavox 185, push pull 6v6 stereo amplifier from a console that I am trying to get working. I made new filter capacitors with a terminal lug strip and replaced the coupling capacitors. All of the cathodes are tied together with a single resistor and electrolytic capacitor. The resistor seems good, in spec and I replaced the capacitor. When I turn it on the B+ voltage goes up to 300 volts and then drops to a little over 110 volts when the 6v6 tubes warm up. I disconnected one of the plate wires to the output transformer thinking it could be a bad transformer. Now I am stumped. I am new to this hobby so any suggestions are appreciated. The amp played with pretty good sound. The output tubes are not hot, I can touch them without burning. I removed the rectifier tube and the power transformer is supplying voltage steadily. I checked all the tubes. Thanks in advance for any help. I am new but safe, have a dim bulb and isolation transformer. The filter capacitors loose voltage when I turn it off faster than I can get my discharge tool to them. Thank you.