can cap replacement question

mxrshiver

can cap replacement question

Post by mxrshiver »

I'm restoring a 1948 Hammond Solovox Model L. This is a photo of how I replaced the caps in the can. I'm wondering if there is any issue in replacing a can of caps in this way? Instead of ordering a new preloaded can or trying to stuff one with the 4 caps shown, I simply drilled holes and clamped each one to the underside, and tied all the grounds together. I removed the ring from the old can and left it in place, and ran the grounds to that ring.

The reason I'm asking is that this sucker works, but has a hell of a hum. (several other issues too, such as the lowest note constantly sounding, plate resistors burning up even though they're 500V 2W rated, and none of the register controls working... but those are for other threads :? ) I also installed a 3 prong cord with earth ground clamped to a lug on the power transformer, and installed a 1A fuse on the other side of the transformer. I'm wondering if these could possibly be the source of the hum, especially introducing the earth ground.

Please be harsh and don't hesitate to get basic with advice or corrections - I'm very, very new to this and am open ears!
Attachments
can caps.png
can caps.png (184.24 KiB) Viewed 291 times
"...but only fools search for gold."
blueglow

Re: can cap replacement question

Post by blueglow »

got a schematic you could post?
mxrshiver

Post by mxrshiver »

luckily i do have a good one, as well as a list of reference voltages (about 30% of them are out of tolerance, last i checked) and the rest of the technical manual. i tried to post a pdf of the schematic page as an attachment but it blocked it - does it need to be an image file? apologies for my lack of experience with forums!

in the meantime, here is the link for the manual: https://archive.org/details/HammondSolo ... icalManual

the first 3 caps are in the power supply, while the bottom 2 run in parallel (a 4 and a 2 mfd, to make the rated value of 6 mfd) is in the control circuit at the bottom, some sort of additional filtering before the keyboard series of inductor contacts.
mxrshiver

Post by mxrshiver »

schematic image!
Attachments
SolovoxModelLTechnicalManual.jpg
SolovoxModelLTechnicalManual.jpg (230.01 KiB) Viewed 268 times