Using a DC Bench Power Supply to Test Amplifiers

KraftyBob

Using a DC Bench Power Supply to Test Amplifiers

Post by KraftyBob »

I'm about year into repairing guitar amps as a hobby and to date haven't had the need for a DC power supply. Yet, when watching YouTube videos, for example, pretty much everyone has a DC power supply on their bench but I haven't seen much use of them. Is this something I'll eventually need for amp repair, and if so, what/how are you using them? There's a dual output 30V, 5A DC power supply for sale near me at a good price and am thinking about picking it up, but if it's something I'll never use then I'll pass.
Hugo

Re: Using a DC Bench Power Supply to Test Amplifiers

Post by Hugo »

If you go on Mauser you will find plenty of similar power supplies for very (in my opinion) low prices. So have a look there before you decide what a good deal is.
KraftyBob

Post by KraftyBob »

Thanks for the info. However, I'm trying to get an idea if this something I'm eventually going to need first. Seeing the one online made me question if I need one on my bench. Thanks
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

If you are going to build and design solid state amplifiers you will need it. If you only will repair amplifiers you will not need it because every amp comes with it and if it is broken, that is what you will have to repair.
Olegus

Post by Olegus »

DC power supply is a good thing to have in general, but totally case dependent. Extremely handy in case of vintage SS amps and receivers where you have discreet power amp boards, which you can just pull out and run independently from the rest of the unit. Guitar amps - not so much. Tube gear - you'd need much higher voltage than 30V, and the circuitry is usually super simple, no need for an external PS, unless you're designing an amp from scratch. SS guitar gear - could be useful, but then again, do you see a plausible scenario when you'd need an external PS? If not, you got your answer. If anything, you can always hack into a PC ITX PS (thrift stores) and get yourself a super cheap PS with +/- 12V. Enough for most applications. AliExpress is another option, a very good benchtop PS with +/- 30V can be had for $50 or so.