Ortofon Blue

BrianinSeattle

Ortofon Blue

Post by BrianinSeattle »

looking for thoughts on the Ortofon blue cartridge...I hope to try on my new MOFI studio deck. Any experience with resitive load for this cartridge?
thanks
Hugo

Re: Ortofon Blue

Post by Hugo »

Audiophile YouTubers speak well of the Ortofon Blue, allegedly they are much better than the Red.
Personally I can not tell you, I am still stuck in the Shure M44 era.
mid mod audio

Post by mid mod audio »

BrianinSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:45 pm looking for thoughts on the Ortofon blue cartridge...I hope to try on my new MOFI studio deck. Any experience with resitive load for this cartridge?
thanks
I'm sure you're aware of this but Ortofon recommends 47K. How would altering the loading affect any given MM cartridge?
Last edited by mid mod audio on Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mid mod audio

Post by mid mod audio »

Hugo wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:03 am Audiophile YouTubers speak well of the Ortofon Blue, allegedly they are much better than the Red.
Personally I can not tell you, I am still stuck in the Shure M44 era.
The Shure M44 series are very lively sounding cartridges mainly due to their relatively high output. I like to use them with low powered tube amps.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

The M44's are my reference cartridges for a few reasons. I have quite a few of them so I can mount them in different turn tables at the same time. And they work well on many turn tables. Also, you can get plenty of after market needles in all price categories including some high end Jico needles (that I do not own).
Knifeswitch

Post by Knifeswitch »

I’ve yet to try mine. Came as a bonus with a QL7 I just got
blueglow

Post by blueglow »

Here is my experience with Ortofon colored carts as I've tried them all:
Red - great value and sounds pretty darn good
Blue - Not worth the extra $100 over the red
Bronze - Better sounding cart but if you are going to jump up in dollars skip and go to the black
Black - Best MM cart I have heard yet, I own several of them

Short version, buy the red or black...

As always, your experience maybe different as audio is very subjective.
mark
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

blueglow wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:59 pm Short version, buy the red or black...
That is a very clear statement.
I have always wondered why Technics puts an Ortofon Red on their SL1500 which in my opinion deserves better. But this could explain it.
Stephe_K

Post by Stephe_K »

Take a look at the Audio-Technica VM540ML MicroLine cartridge. I love mine, much nicer sounding than the NAGAOKA MP-110 I replaced IMHO.
Stephe