Best Audio TK-12 Cartridge Holder for Dual 1019 Tight Fit

AndyMcKay

Best Audio TK-12 Cartridge Holder for Dual 1019 Tight Fit

Post by AndyMcKay »

Afternoon everyone.

I recently picked up a replacement TK-12 holder from Best Audio (the injection-molded one) in prep for a new cartridge. The old holder still works, but it's old and I've had issues with the pressure/contact points in the past, so I thought it was time to replace it. Everything arrived today and I went to install everything and ran into some issues.

The cart in question is an Ortofon 2M Red. The fit of the cartridge into the holder is very tight and impinges on fore/aft adjustments. To see if it was just the cart, I installed it on my old holder and while pushing what it can fit, it does still fit and allow adjustment.

The second issue I ran into is fitting the holder onto the tonearm. It is also quite tight. The old holder slides in no problem. Put it in place, move the lever and we're good. The new one takes significant effort to get it to align properly so the lever can be moved to lock it in place.

I know the new holder works, as I can install my old Pickering XV15 into it and it does play properly, so I'm good on that side. Seemed that the Ortofon I picked up has an issue in the left channel though... That one's the same on the old and new holder...

But anyway, has anyone else had similar issues w/ the Best Audio TK-12 holder?
Hugo

Re: Best Audio TK-12 Cartridge Holder for Dual 1019 Tight Fit

Post by Hugo »

I am on a business trip so unfortunately I can not check on my 1019. But I have encountered something similar. I have two 1019s and of one the cartridge holder was in a bad state. So I wanted to swap both holders between both turntables. Much to my surprise the border line OEM cartridge holder fits on the other tone arm without any issue but the OEM cartridge holder of the other turntable that is in much better state is just too tight to allow the leaver to move in the lock position. I did not want to force it and gave up on it. I then bought a replacement cartridge holder, probably same as you have (which is build much better in my opinion) and that installed without an issue. To it is a slightly different story the Best Audio TK-12 works fine but one OEM holder does not fit the other. I am not sure if both have the same number, that I need to verify when I get back home.
AndyMcKay

Post by AndyMcKay »

The one I got was one of the "limited edition" colors. I can't imagine that there would be different tooling that's used between different color runs, assuming the old tooling isn't worn out.

I wonder if what I'm seeing is the difference been a "well worn in" OEM and a "new" replacement/reproduction.

Like I said, it works, I can get it to mount, but it takes more force to get it to align and latch. I specifically went with the Best Audio because I didn't want to go down the 3D printed route with another seller. Sure, 3D printed items have their place, but I didn't feel that permanent use on my turntable was that place.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

As long as the force you put on the lever does not get so big that you may break it, I would have no issue. I could not mount it at all, I knew I would break something if I insisted and that was between two different Dual holders. I would not be surprised that trough out the years of production Dual it self had some tolerance issues including the head shells.

PS, I like the cartridge holders from Best Audio a lot. I think they have improved the design. I just bought the black one. What colour do you have? does it look good?
AndyMcKay

Post by AndyMcKay »

I picked up the "Champagne Edition".

EDIT: The picture that was here is a perfect example of the issue I'm having. I'd just put the holder on for the picture and it had felt like it seated home, but it hadn't. Before playing anything I had to reseat the front edge of the holder so that the clip held it properly. So, picture removed.

I think it looks good, and will likely just use it as a backup with the Pickering cartridge. I like that it has the grooves for the alignment gauge, which I also have. The only issue I have w/ the Pickering right now is that I don't have a stylus cover and I don't know enough to know if the covers will cover a range of stylus, so I haven't tracked one down. I'd certainly feel a lot better storing the cart with one installed though.

I've noticed that Pats Audio has a holder that they claim is a better fit for wider-bodied carts like the Ortofon 2M carts. They appear to be 3D printed, like their other holders, but it's cheap enough that I'm probably going to at least give it a shot (even after stating that I wasn't thrilled about the concept of 3D printed holders).
Attachments
ChampagneEdition.jpg
ChampagneEdition.jpg (82.4 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

That does look good although it appears not to sit right at the front so there are some fit issues.
I have a fairly expensive Pickering low output MM cartridge. You need an MC input for it. I did not use it on the 1019 because I think the signal is too small and it will pick up noise (like what happened on a Pioneer PL12D I tried it on). I did try a Stanton EEE (I have from new) and that sounds really good. I also tried a Stanton 500-E and that one does not do it at all for me. The Standard cartridge I use on the 1019 is a Shure M44 and on my 1009 use a Shure M35.
AndyMcKay

Post by AndyMcKay »

Yep, the latch in front engaged and pushed the front down instead of holding it in place. I fixed it before actually playing anything. Like I said, I can get it to fit and latch, but it's not nearly as straightforward and easy as the OEM.

I'm trying to sort out the Ortofon Red situation I have going on. We'll see how that does. I can always upgrade to a Blue stylus later, and I have a list of carts to try in the future if it doesn't do it for me.
AndyMcKay

Post by AndyMcKay »

I picked up the Pat's Audio "TK-22" holder, which is (as far as I can tell) just a modified TK-12 holder with the side panels deleted. This takes care of any clearance issues with the Ortofon cartridge I had with the TK-12.

I got everything installed and adjusted and I'm definitely happy with the result. The anti-skate could probably use a little fine-tuning, but it'll get there.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

I don't know that one, do you have a link?
AndyMcKay

Post by AndyMcKay »

I picked it up from their eBay store. URL of the auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293704798734
TK22wOrtofon2mRed.jpg
TK22wOrtofon2mRed.jpg (178.19 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
I did find an issue this morning, however. The spring-loaded pin on top that leads to the blue lead isn't well secured and the sleeve will slide down/into the holder body.
pin.jpg
pin.jpg (22.07 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
I removed and reinstalled the holder and found that the left channel was very low. I pulled it back off and found that... I can use tweezers and pull it into place and carefully reinstall, but it should be properly secured in the first place.

Email sent to the seller. I hate being the problem customer...