Post by Kappclark »

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NyeQqa3e6B6Bkb2c8

Amazed how well the AR does..
Bill Clark, Windham, VT
mguess

Re: Pics of your Vinyl Playback Equipment

Post by mguess »

AndyMcKay wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:09 pm 1019-.jpg

Nothing terribly special. Dual 1019 that I found on craigslist that was all gummed up. Pulled it apart and relubed everything and have it mostly working now. Only issue is the manual start cycle starts the platter spinning and then stops. Auto-start works properly, starting the platter spinning and drops the stylus in the correct location.

My backup in the living room is a B&O RX2. Love how sleek those things are.
My Dual 1019 does the same thing on Manual start. However if you move the tonearm off of the rest and then manually start it works properly. Maybe a feature rather than a problem.
porkfriedpork

Post by porkfriedpork »

Here's my deck...
FB_IMG_1618770513168.jpg
FB_IMG_1618770513168.jpg (103.11 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
jlwood3

Post by jlwood3 »

:shock: Wow!
Kappclark

Post by Kappclark »

Wow again ...

BTW - How can you put pictures inside the post ?? I see only have to put in link, or upload file ..
Bill Clark, Windham, VT
Tables_and_Tubes

Post by Tables_and_Tubes »

That is a fine looking TD 124! What cartridges are you running on the arms? Is it a mono/stereo setup?

Dan
porkfriedpork

Post by porkfriedpork »

Hi Dan, carts are currently Soundsmith Norma on 3009 and and Nagaoka MP500 on M2 12R.
My plan is to go low compliance MC on the 12 inch and higher compliance MM or MI on 9 inch.
I’m still shopping for MC. My phono pre makes it easy to switch Mm or MC. Norma can go either
way. Any recs for MC? Hana ML? SPU?
Tables_and_Tubes

Post by Tables_and_Tubes »

Well, me and moving coil cartridges just don't get along. I went through a period in the 80"s and 90's where you just had to be running a MC to be a "real" audiophile. I ran all of the usual suspects (in the "sane" price range): Benz Micro, Grado, Sumiko, etc. None presented the music with the guts and dynamics that I like. I also dealt with ongoing mistracking and tracing distortion problems. This was all with my SME V arm! I was beginning to feel that I just could not set up and align a cartridge properly (I can)! I suppose if I would have stepped up to the Big Boy's table and ponied up for a $5000 cartridge, I may have experienced MC nirvana.

So, it was back to my non-audiophile approved Shures (V15III, IV, V, VxMR) and, aahhhhh... I have never looked back. Even my lowly 97m with an SAS Vivid Line stylus is a great sounding cart. (the Vivid Line stylus gets rid of the horrible sucked out midrange). Bonus! No more tracking problems, tracing distortion, or end-of-side distortion.

Currently I am running the 97m/Vivid Line on a SME 3009 II Improved and the last of my NOS V15xMR's on my SME V arm. One of these days I may pick up a Denon DL 103 just to see what the fuss is all about.

What is your take on the Nagaoka? Always have been interested in their line of cartridges (and Japanese Hi-FI in general).

Dan
MCHAN

Post by MCHAN »

Reminds me of the Thorens turntables I used to have in my collection.
I’ve owned the 124 ii, 125 ii, 147, 150, and 160- I miss the 125 ii the most.