Is a dedicated function generator necessary anymore?

got questions or ideas on audio bench setups or test equipment?
Ericusrex

Is a dedicated function generator necessary anymore?

Post by Ericusrex »

I know I need a source of sine and square waves to use an oscilloscope. But can't I find apps or download wav files and save the $ and bench space? I have REW on my laptop and that has a built-in signal generator. Couldn't I run a cord between my pc's headphone out and into the scope? Please advise me, Masters!
Solder on!
KraftyBob

Re: Is a dedicated function generator necessary anymore?

Post by KraftyBob »

I use the Tenma 72-505 signal generator. It's handheld, runs on a 9v battery and costs around $50-$60. When I was looking to get one I initially thought about using an app on my iPhone, but several people on another forum that I'm on recommended against that as there's the potential of damaging the phone if something goes wrong. I would imagine the same holds true for a laptop.

I've had it for about a year, and while I don't use it daily, I have put a lot of hours on it and I'm still using the original battery. It can generate sine and square waves and is pretty accurate. I pretty much only use it to inject a 1KHz, 100mv signal into guitar amps for troubleshooting and it's worked out great for me.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

The ICL8038 is a function generator chip. If you type that in the search bar of Amazon or eBay, you will find various Chinese PCBs based on this chip that will be cheap as chips (pun intended).
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

I use an app by Keuwlsoft which is free and has no ads. Works well for my needs. Sine, square and triangle waves from either or both of two channels. Pretty good little app.
Ericusrex

Post by Ericusrex »

Thanks all! Good advice so I bought a Protek sweep gen off ebay for peanuts.
Solder on!