Alternatives to incandescents for current limiters?

got questions or ideas on audio bench setups or test equipment?
bay_ampea

Alternatives to incandescents for current limiters?

Post by bay_ampea »

As you may have heard, the ban on incandescent light bulbs is back on in the US and no more new ones will be available soon (next year if I'm understanding things).

I'm curious what alternative devices people are considering using once your stock of bulbs runs out?

(I know this policy can evoke some strong political opinions, but please let's keep this thread technical. Electronics is my fun hobby, politics is not :))
Olddog

Re: Alternatives to incandescents for current limiters?

Post by Olddog »

I don't know of any off my head but sure there is, at a price of course (right now). Before the last was done away with stocked up on about half dozen. Can't see me going thru that many for a long time
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Are halogen bulbs also affected? And why not stockpile now? Also, you should be always able to buy an incandescent lamp for maritime use. That is a loophole.
KraftyBob

Post by KraftyBob »

Try a variac with ammeter instead of the lightbulb limiter. Easy to control voltage and can monitor current draw in real-time. Plus you don't run into the issue of forgetting that you're running through the limiter and wondering why your voltages are off :) It does happen...