electronics theory (for the working man)

post ideas here for things you would like to see a video on
mid mod audio

electronics theory (for the working man)

Post by mid mod audio »

Hi Mark,

I'm wondering if you can do a video (or series) covering electronics theory that every tech (not engineer) should know when repairing and restoring vintage audio gear?
Olddog

Re: electronics theory (for the working man)

Post by Olddog »

Mr Carlson has been running a series on his patreon channel starting from reading schematics and now in part 6 he is doing amplifier signal path. Yeah you have to pay for patreon but to me the 2$ i spend is not bad. He is a good teacher and not doing it at the engineer level either
mid mod audio

Post by mid mod audio »

I wasn't aware that he had another channel. I'll look into it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Doctor Jack

Post by Doctor Jack »

Interesting thread. I'm a member of Mr. Carlson's Patreon, and I think his videos are excellent; for me however he concentrates more than I'd like on tube electronics. I'm trying hard to educate myself in solid-state audio. It seems that tube electronics are getting more attention these days in this type of video, but maybe that's just my perspective. Excellent channel nonetheless.
blueglow

Post by blueglow »

I think its because a lot of 2 and 4 year EE programs cover everything needed related to solid state but these guy/gals are left with no working knowledge of tubes, they teach zero about them these days.
Swan350C

Post by Swan350C »

The W2AEW youtube also has "back to basics" tutorials on basic electronic devices and circuits.
tbone8

Post by tbone8 »

A very good book one can download to learn about tubes. Very basic stuff, easy reading and very understandable.

Inside The Vacuum Tube by John Francis Rider
The book can be downloaded here:
https://archive.org/details/InsideTheVacuumTube
“Pain is a great reminder you are alive” Brent Butt
Reymtb

Post by Reymtb »

tbone8 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:23 am A very good book one can download to learn about tubes. Very basic stuff, easy reading and very understandable.

Inside The Vacuum Tube by John Francis Rider
The book can be downloaded here:
https://archive.org/details/InsideTheVacuumTube
Wow, is a big book but I did some browsing already and looks easy enough to follow, the drawings are pretty cool. To me some look like little devils. :lol: