In Need of a Volume Pot - A100K

the place to share what you are working on and get input if you wish
Ericusrex

In Need of a Volume Pot - A100K

Post by Ericusrex »

I've used an Alps Blue Velvet in the past. Is this still the (sort of) budget pot to use? I don't see much else in this under-$20 price category without dropping down to a $3 Alpha. What am I missing? Or just go with the tried-and-true Alps?

Thx!
Solder on!
Hugo

Re: In Need of a Volume Pot - A100K

Post by Hugo »

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/compon ... eters.html

It's in the UK, but it will give you some brands to search for.
Tables_and_Tubes

Post by Tables_and_Tubes »

The, mono with detents, A100K ALPS are my go-to potentiometers. I have used the TKD pots. They are a slight upgrade, with a much higher price. Once you start looking at $100 potentiometers, you might as well find a nice stepped attenuator kit and use your resistors of choice.

Dan
Ericusrex

Post by Ericusrex »

Thank you everyone!

In the end, I went with the trusty Alps (now "Alps Alpine"). I avoided ebay completely as nearly all of them come from China (counterfeits?) and got the new, current version from Mouser. We'll see how it compares to the old-style Blue Velvet.
Solder on!
Ericusrex

Post by Ericusrex »

FYI, Mouser did not list the taper of this pot. And if you filter the results for "audio taper" it won't show. But the pot arrived today. It looks just like the Blue Velvets of the past and is, in fact, an A taper ("100KA").
Solder on!
Ericusrex

Post by Ericusrex »

Mouser part #RK27112A00AK $17
Mouser is still not listing this under "audio" taper. So just go straight to the part # in the search bar.
Solder on!
4thtry

Post by 4thtry »

Ericusrex wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:18 am Mouser part #RK27112A00AK $17
Mouser is still not listing this under "audio" taper. So just go straight to the part # in the search bar.
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the metal mounting shaft is insulated from all of the solder tab connections on this pot? I am going to order and replace the volume control on my Stromberg Carlson amp and I would like to use this same Alps pot, but I need to make sure that I do not ground one of the solder tabs to the chassis when I install it.

Bill
Ericusrex

Post by Ericusrex »

Hi Bill. Sorry for the delay. I just checked my spare (bought from Mouser). There is no continuity between the body/shaft and pins.
Solder on!
4thtry

Post by 4thtry »

Ericusrex wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:41 am Hi Bill. Sorry for the delay. I just checked my spare (bought from Mouser). There is no continuity between the body/shaft and pins.
Thanks for the info. I ordered the same pot from Mouser and am currently installing it in my Stromberg amp. I'm making a small circuit board to fit onto the pot's pcb tabs. This should make it easier for me to attach and solder my shielded microphone cables. Bill